Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deep Fill Embankment Construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfitzp

Civil/Environmental
Oct 11, 2002
US
I am presently involved in a deep (110') fill embankment construction project. I am suspect of the design for the embankment construction and am looking for guidance on the design of deep fill embankments.

Specific parameters are a short working season in a sub-arctic environment, poor soil conditions with high silt content, no sand drains designed, high moisture content of in-situ soils and no drying options, no pressure monitoring provisions in the design.

Are there any papers or other information on the design of deep fill earthen embankments that might be helpful?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't understand the concern? Is it to complete all 110 ft. of the embankment in one season or is it because there are no pore pressure monitoring devices included in the design, or somehting else you are concerned with?

If the in-situ soil is non-plastic silt, then I would expect elastic settlement to dominate. Maybe some very small amount of creep, but certainly not a typical cohesive-soil magnitude of settlement. Check the designers' settlement estimate as see what they are assuming. Of course this also assumes the fill itself is granular.

Maybe try looking at using lightweight fill if it's a major concern - and if your budget allows as they get expensive. Depending on the end use (private road, sate highway?) maybe lightweight waste material can be used for some of the embankment height (tires, etc.).

Otherwise, I am not familiar with any publications that treat deep embankment fills any differently than shallow fills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back