Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deep Highway culvert installation, fish pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKSherpa

Civil/Environmental
Jan 21, 2005
US
We are looking at installing a deep(50') 10' diameter cmp fish pass culvert. Considering installing in 2 stages so we can keep 2 lanes of traffic and a bike path open. I am looking for ideas on how to temporarily shore up the excavation longitudinally along the centerline of the highway. I am working with a cut approx. 45 feet deep in Sandy gravel soils, with traffic loading along top of cut. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

for the price (and risk) of shoring or grouting with cut and cover trench construction, you might just want to consider jacking and boring instead

Oldestguy,

While I know nothing about this specific project, I've been told in the past that the fish like larger openings. So one large pipe is much more effective as a fish passage than several small pipes. As it was explained to me, the fish don't like tunnels, so a larger pipe is less "tunnel like" than small pipes.

Mike Lambert

I would recommend installing this by boring/pipe jacking if at all possible. We have designed installations of 10'x10' box culverts over 40 deep and had them successfully installed on grade (0.12% slope) via pipe jacking on lengths of over 1000 feet.

This seems like it would be more preferable than open cutting in loose soils to that depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back