Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Default Tool Settings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zride91

Electrical
Jan 27, 2003
US
Does anybody know how to set defaults in the tool settings? For example, have Match Element Attributes have Level, Color, Line Style, and Line Weight all checked everytime you open Microstation. By default, those attributes are all unchecked everytime I open the program, I'd like to change that, so my users and I do not have to keep changing the tool settigs daily.

Thank you for any input.

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go to Workspace>preferences, a dialog box will appear. In the dialog box you will find operation. Here you can click on the save settings on exit radio button. Here it will stay set.
Regards,
Namdac

I would suggest caution when using the "save settings on exit option." It can cause trouble if you are not diligent about making sure that the correct levels are on or off when you exit. I've had problems in the past when this option was toggled on. I prefer to save settings as needed.

Thanks for the input, but the Save settings don't work for me. Say I check all the attributes in the "Match Element Attributes" dialog box, all those attributes will stay checked for as long as I have microstation open, however, as soon as I exit microstation (shut it right down), when I open it back up again, they are all unchecked again, even if I do Save Settings.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Thanks zride91, I called our Bentley support line and they said there was no way to save these settings, but they did offer a decent work around. They suggested recording a macro where you check all the settings you want and then use that macro as your tool. I've done this and it works just fine. Let me know if you want help doing this.

That's an interresting work around... I have seen the macro's recorded before, but we do not use them. Do you have to create a macro for each tool you want the specific settings for? How do you use the macros for tools? Is it just a different key-in?

Thanks for following up.

Yes, you have to record a different macro for each tool you want to create specific settings for. So, for instance, I created a macro called dropall that runs the drop element command and selects all the different element types. Then you can either create a function key that runs "macro dropall", or create a custom icon, or in my case create a accudraw shortcut. I also created one for the match tool that selects the match/change method and unchecks use active attributes. When I type "ma" on my keyboard I can select an object to get it's attributes then start clicking others to match. Then when I'm done the current active attributes are still whatever they were before I ran the command. (just like AutoCAD). It's very easy to create and record a new macro. It doesn't change the default icon tool settings, but in my case I don't use icons (old AutoCAD user) so it's no big deal.

Try this alternative
Instead of one macro for each tool you want settings changed
just merge all the macros you have created for your tool settings for each tool and in the last line just before closing the macro put in
[mdl unload [toolname]]
Then name this megamacro "settings.bas"
then change your startup to run this macro on starting ustn
that way you'll have all your prefered settings enabled.
without invoking the save settings on exit.
you'll find instructions on how to do that
at I'll be publishing more of these type tips and tutorials in the Microstation magazine Control Alt Delete you can find out more about this at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back