Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deficiency Report for Transitions (Appendix 1-8 (b) or (c)) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

doct9960

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2006
CA
Whenever I get the Appendix 1-8(b) or (c) deficiency report in Compress, I noticed that the program does not indicate the correct stiffener ring location when you are using the SI or MKS units. But it works fine when you are using the US Customary units. I guess the stiffener ring location in the SI or MKS units are not really in "mm" but are actually in "inches". Is there a units conversion error (or lack of conversion) in the program?

I am using Compress Build 6247.

Appendix 1-8 requires that the centroid of the stiffener ring be located within a distance of 0.25 x SQRT(R x t) from the junction. (see Code for correct nomenclature).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good Afternoon doc,

I suggest you forward the file to Codeware Technical Support at support@codeware.com. We will review and advise.

Tom Barsh
Codeware Technical Support

Good Afternoon doc,

From your sample file I confirmed the problem you report. The maximum distance (shown in the Deficiency) from cone-cylinder junction to the centroid of the stiffener ring is reported in inches and is not converted to millimeters when SI or MKS units are selected.

I have reported this problem to our programmers for correction.

Thank you for bringing this error to our attention. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Tom Barsh

The error occurs only in the Deficiency Summary when SI or MKS units is selected and a stiffener ring is required but is not within the Code-specified limit of 0.25*sqrt(R*t) to the centroid of the ring.

The value 0.25*sqrt(R*t) is indeed a relatively small value in most cases. For example, given a cone with adjacent 120" diameter x 1" nominal thick cylinder at large end this distance is: 0.25*sqrt(120/2 * 1) = 1.9365". Not very much considering the relatively large diameter, thick cylinder.

The issue for this bug is that if the ring centroid is not located within 0.25*sqrt(R*t) of the cone-cylinder junction as per Appendix 1-8(b) and (c) then the numerical value for distance in the Deficiency is reported in inches, not in mm. However, the program correctly applies the correct distance of 0.25*sqrt(R*t) to centroid of the ring in the calculations; ie: a ring with centroid located at 0.25*sqrt(R*t) from the junction is accepted in the specified units.

Thus there is no effect on the calculations, they are correct. Only the numerical value reported in the Deficiency is incorrect because it is not converted to metric units.

Tom Barsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back