Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Define a volume body from point coordinates

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3munoz

Industrial
Aug 29, 2011
ES
Hi everybody!

this is my first post, and I must admit I'm a little desperated after having tried different strategies to get it. The point is that I want to obtain the volume of the nose of a train, as you can recognize from the picture. The information I have are the coordinates of all these points, placed on the boundaries and some of them on the surface. Let's say that I have, somehow, the frame, and what I want is the shell.

Then my question is if it is possible to do it via Catia or any other CAD software...or if it isnt what should I do.

Any advice or help is welcome, so please, I hope anybody can give me a hand.

Thanks in advance,

L3munoz.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In CATIA GSD workbench, with those 3D points you can create 3D curves which can define a closed surface. Then you can measure the volume.

Regards
Fernando

So you mean to go POINTS-CURVES-SURFACES-VOLUME? Yes, that's the stategy I was following. The problem comes when I try to get the surfaces close to the peak of the nose. It seems that with just these three curves it cannot define such surface, so I don't know if it is possible to get just one surface (the whole train nose, what I call the shell)

I don't think you can create the whole surface in one command, probably you will need to do more surfaces (defined in different ways) and finally join in a single one.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Regards
Fernando

I was checking the capacities of CATIA, and maybe it is possible to get the unique surface of the nose by sweeping a curve along two edges. The question is if there is any problem because of converging boths edges...

It can be done. All aircraft noses and wing tips can be created in CATIA, I believe you can find some examples on YouTube.

I've created an engine nacelle for an aircraft using multi-sections surface, blend, fill, almost all operations in GSD.

There is a pps here (you can download it if you push button ANCS, slide 9), you can see a gif in this slide with this nacelle.

Regards
Fernando

Ok, thanks Fernando, the idea of aircraft noses designs helps a lot. Actually I found a link about how a guy created an Airbus nose and he uses multi-sections surface as well. So I just need to have the profile and a couple of guide curves to get it??

Hi Ferdo,

I managed to get the geometry. The problem is that now I have to do it 100 times, since we have different geometries of trains. I already found a file in Excel which let you create the points and curves, but I guess I should do it manually one by one. THen the solution is obviously running CATIA in batch mode. I saw you have some experience running in batch. Should it be easy?

by the way, are you spanish?? maybe it is easier to talk in spanish somehow...

Hi,

Sorry for delay, I have a lot of things to do after the holiday (by the way, I just came from Spain, but no, I'm not Spanish, I'm Romanian, I just can understand Spanish easily, anyway, this is an English language forum).

Depend on what you want to do in batch mode, jobs can run smooth or you can have different surprises...

There is a very interesting article in Mike Berry's blog ( ) , it will help you to understand more .

If I remember correctly, you can find also something about batch scripts also in my CATIA Portable Script Center.

Regards
Fernando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back