Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Define bolt circle dia in hole wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCengno1

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2005
US
I do lots of circular bolt patterns but have been unable to figure out how to define a bolt circle dia when positioning the 1st hole in a circular pattern. I usually define it from the center of the BC as a radius. How can I create it 1st time around as a diameter. Thanks.

BCK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's how I was able to do this:

Before going into the hole wizard, sketch a circle on the solid surface and check off the "For Construction" box.

Then go into the Hole Wizard and place the hole on the surfact. Put in a "coincident" constraint no the construction line and the hole center. If you want to put in an angular dimension from a plane, draw a centerline to the hole center then create the angular dimension.

That should do it.

In my work, we also define hole patterns using a Bolt Circle or BC. To provide for this, we create & dimension the bolt circle, as a separate construction sketch, prior to inserting a hole-wizard feature. Then the 2d or 3d point for the hole(s) can be made coincident with the BC. If an angular orientation is required, then the separate BC sketch can include an additional construction line for the necessary angle.
This is a bit more work but in the end the hole feature(s) are defined as we require for manufacture.
HTH,
Eddie

Why not just sketch a circle in the position sketch created by the Holewizard, you can create all kinds of construction geometry in that sketch, you are not limited to just the points. If your part is round then you could just put in the first hole then do a circular pattern using the axis of your part to generate the rest of the bolt circle.

mncad

And when you detail it use the circular pattern Centermark option. It will make the B.C. in the drawing and put in radial center lines. Then you can dimension the B.C. with a driven dimension.

Design Library > Features > Inch > Hole Patterns > Circular Hole Pattern, or search for "circular hole pattern.sldlfp". It is not a hole wizard hole, but if you study how a feature is made, you may be able to modify it to your needs.

Flores
SW06 SP2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back