Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Define bolt load with normal screws in Abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

SommerK

Student
Sep 1, 2023
DE
Hello together,

in my simulation I use bolts with nuts (simplified) and normal bolts with threads that are screwed in a hole. I don't get any error messages with the screws with nuts, but I don't know exactly how to interact the normal screws with thread. Do I have to create a tie constraint between the screw shaft and the hole? I get the following error message afterwards:

-72 nodes may not be used with a multi-point constraint since they are also part of pretension section. The nodes have been identified in node set ErrNodeMPCPretenSec.

I have a suspicion that there is a problem with the condition of the tie-constraint interacting with the preload of the bolts and thus there is a double interaction. I have now set the surface for the preload of the screw further in the direction of the screw head so that the tie-constraint and the preload of the screw do not overlap. Is this the right way to go? Does anyone know this problem and maybe has a tip for me?

Thank you for your efforts!

Screw_gizvuy.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So the threads mentioned by you are not modeled ? Can you share a screnshot showing the bolt and the part (or parts) to which the bolt needs to be connected ? Tie constraints are sometimes used between the head/nut and the surfaces of connected parts but not between the bolt shaft and inner surfaces of the holes. There you typically have some clearance and contact defined if needed.

Hello FEA way,

thank you for your quick respond. Yes, the threads were not modeled because I wanted to do a simplified calculation.

Here is the screenshot.

Unfortunately, I didn't find anything about it in the forum, where only the connection between a screw and a nut is discussed.

2_nqkfys.png
1_yd30vn.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back