Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Define Tapered Hole Sizes for Inserts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenevil

Automotive
Apr 2, 2013
US
Hi, my designs frequently require tapered holes for heat-set inserts like this one from McMaster Carr (link).

I am able create the hole from the Insert>Design_Feature>Hole, Type - General Hole , Form - Tapered, but I have to look up the Diameter, Taper, and Depth every time. Is it possible to have these defined in a drop-down similar to the thread sizes available in threaded hole? Like the drop-down would have M2 thru M8 available. The diameter, taper and depth would be defined according to the selection.

I have a feeling this is an advanced task and I don't expect a complete answer. If someone could just point me in the right direction. Currently, I'm researching about the .xml tables. Not sure how to get a drop-down from this so maybe I should be considering some vba app.

Thanks,
Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no standard that I'm aware of for 'tapered-holes', therefore it's not driven from a table (i.e. XML file), but rather simply by what the user enters. Now if you really want to do this, you could use the 'Reuse Library' and create a UDF (User Defined Feature) of a 'tapered-hole' which could be drive from a user defined table.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks John,

Exactly what I was looking for. This isn't something I absolutely need. I'm trying to expand my understanding of NX's features so this will be a good exercise and useful if I'm successful.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back