Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Define trials and measurements that can be taken for a can type vertical pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbkjnr

Petroleum
Jan 19, 2023
GB
Good day

Please I need some advise on how I can define trials, measurements and aims (what to record) for a pump that was taken out of service for derating and is now coming back. WHat trials can i carry out to make sure the derating has been succesful and how can i measure these trials.

Regards

Michael

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Differential head vs flow over a series of flow points?

Measure electrical input current to calculate efficiency?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

That is about it.
Head and flow at 4 or 5 points within the preferred operating range and good motor measurements (V, A, per phase, and real power) while you do it.
The guys that worked on it didn't do any testing?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

When you say derating, are you speaking of impeller trimming? I'm not familiar with vertical can pumps specifically.

The pump manufacturer would typically have pump curves for each impeller trim. Individual testing of pumps isn't always necessary.

Common problem with vertical can pumps is shaft vibration and the consequent loads imposed on bearings and shaft seals, especially on pumps with many stages. Ask a mech engineer to help.

Just another spin the wheels post, nearly 1 month and not a word from the OP.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back