Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Defining a position in an ISP/LEC/CLEC or Carrier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure exactly, but in a company I used to work in which had an ISP division the Network Engineer was a non-degreed technical computer person who understood Linux and NT operating systems. They also were extremely proficient in computer hardware debugging such as PC servers and Cisco routers/switches.<br>
<br>
Does that help?<br>

It helps. TKS<br>
<br>
I understand that large ISP, have a variety of Network Engineers, do you know what they are responsible for, and what the scope of thier job is.<br>

I don't think the size of the ISP changes the functionality of their work. They all pretty much operate in the maintenance of servers, routers and switches. The equipment and line/system load balancing just gets more expensive and complicated. But, the switching of data packets is all pretty much the same.<br>
<br>
There is a magazine for ISP's which may have articles for you on this topic at and they used to have all their back issues online.<br>
<br>
Good luck.<br>
<br>

Why is there such a big difference between the Telecoms industry vs. ISP. In telecoms one web site by 1997 Healy & Co. Had a whole slew of Network Engineering functions(See below). As a follow-up these positions are as Healy stated, and they seem to require a lot of experience: <br>
<br>
Strategic Planning (Beyond 6 Years)[HQ]<br>
<br>
Fundamental Planning (2 to 6 Years)[HQ]<br>
<br>
Network Architecture Planning [HQ]<br>
<br>
Program [HQ]<br>
<br>
Major Network Projects [HQ]<br>
<br>
Switching Technology Introduction & Support [HQ]<br>
<br>
Transport Technology Introduction & Support [HQ]<br>
<br>
Technology Support & Liaison [HQ]<br>
<br>
Fiber Optic Technology Introduction & Support [HQ]<br>
<br>
Metallic Wire, Cable & Coax TechnologyIntroduction & Support [HQ]<br>
<br>
Power Common Systems Technology Introduction & Environmental Standards [HQ]<br>
<br>
Transmission Standards & Engineering [HQ]<br>
<br>
Central Office Installation Quality Audits [HQ]<br>
<br>
Protection Engineering [HQ]<br>
<br>
Network (Traffic) Engineering<br>
<br>
Operator Services Engineering [HQ]<br>
<br>
Current Planning (Present to 2 Years) <br>
<br>
Switching Engineering <br>
<br>
Facility Engineering <br>
<br>
Transmission Engineering <br>
<br>
Equipment & Power Systems Engineering <br>
<br>
Detail Engineering<br>
<br>
Central Office Records <br>
<br>
Plug-in Equipment Inventory Management<br>
<br>
Outside Plant Construction & Engineering Support<br>
<br>
[HQ] is a Headquarters Organization within Network Engineering

Sorry, I have never worked in a Telco and do not feel qualified to address your question. It is a good question though.....

When I worked at our local phone company they had so many job titles and very few that acually did much of anything. The upper management just made rules for the lower management to restrict them and instead of anyone actually being able to do something they spent a great deal of time reading manuals,letters of understandings, procedures, and if you worked hard you could finnish your work early enough to re-design your office. The people that weren't having coffee or lunch at their desk were soon left behind in the New Job Classification Syndrome which was a reward for not ever asking your boss what should I be doing. I enjoyed working there because they paid lots of overtime to us because they were so busy during the day we could only renovate their office after hours. My cousing was a network manager for the last few years and he did computer programing for them until he worked for them for twenty 22 years. Then they down sized and told him heres a cardboard box and the security gaurd will check your belongings at the door. I think their titles are created when they run out of places to sit people, because the cafeteria is closed at 3:00 pm and work ends at 4:00 pm.<br>

Well, that sure clears up a few of my long-held telco misconceptions. :)<br>
<br>
(You have to interject a little humor into these things once in a while....)<br>
<br>
Thanks for the insight!<br>
<br>
Dave

I held the title of Network Engineer for a small international voice provider. My position was resposible for the design, implementation and installation of voice services from the DS0 level up to OC-12 and beyond. Very similiar to the responsibilities that you listed above. I originally was titled a Telcommunications Engineer and my boss decided that Network Eng was more appropriate. I didn't think so. Like Hunter has mentioned, when I hear the term Network Eng. I think of Data and Routing. I am now a Systems Engineer doing about the same duties for inside plant work and outside plant work. I hope this helps a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back