Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defining Section Properties for Wood Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanchan

Structural
Nov 12, 2011
CA
Hi,

What would be the best way of defining a frame section for wood?
I've attempted to use "other sections>General" but it requires that I enter a list of cross sectional properties (r,Ixx,Iyy etc.) I am wondering if there is a more effective way.
I attempted using concrete section but choosing a predefined material property for Wood, because using a concrete section as oppose to "other" can conveniently calculate all cross sectional properties by simply entering the cross sectional dimensions.

I have already defined the Material properties as "Other" and entered .

Thanks in advance,
Stan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Define menu>material and define a material with properties of wood using proper modulus, density, etc. Since wood behaves as orthotropic with different stiffnesses in each local direction based on direction of wood grain, SAP200 offers an option to define orthotropic material as well as isotropic.

Once you have defined material properties for your wood materials, go to Define menu to "add" a frame section. But you will first have to go to concrete type to access the rectangular shape, then change material from concrete to wood and input your dimensions for your rectangular frame section.

I am also trying to define a wood section in SAP2000. From what I am reading, is this the step you take?

Define > Materials > (show advanced properties) > Add new material > Material type: other > Directional summary type: orthotropic

Once I am in the window, I am confused with all the values I need to enter, E1 to E3, U12, U13, U23, A's and G's, etc. Do you have a screen shot or guidance of what they are? Where do I enter values such as compression parallel to grain, compression perpendicular to grain, shear and tension parallel to grain? Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back