Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definition of Ethics??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thane

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2000
US
Food for thought. I have seen ethics used in several different contexts, but generally meaning the same things. What is your definition of the word ethics? What rules of thumb to you use to apply ethics?

My definition is: a set of guidelines based on values (personal and professional) that are used to help make decisions

Rule of thumb: Do I want my name associated with a particular decision? Do I want my parents, children, or family to know I made a particular decision?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that TheTick was trying to say that the reasons (beliefs) behind the ethic are not as important as agreement in the ethic. For example, we may all agree that The Golden Rule is a good ethical rule to live by. However, some of us may belief that for religous reasons, others may belief it for simply 'backscratching' reasons, and others may believe its supports preservation of the species. We agree in the conduct prescribed by The Golden Rule, even though we may have different beliefs as to why it is a good ethic.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

A code of ethics is a set of rules that is constructed to establish the boundaries of acceptable behavior for the group of individuals who are governed by that code. It does not require those individuals to have any "buy in" in terms of either moral or religious convictions. So a code of ethics does not necessarily coincide with the internal belief systems of those that it governs.

Maui

I think within every religion some form of ethics developed because it was considered a good thing and respect of the rules could easily be inforced within the religious framework (an omniscent and omnipotent creature would prosecute anybody who violates the rules). However, religion is not required to have ethics (without religion however you need to replace God by police and judges, not nearly as impressive).

The aim of ethics IMHO is to put certain boundaries to the extent of which people are allowed to have their personal interests prevail over the general interest. The golden rule is a bit limited description. For example, company X bribes civil servant Y in country Z to obtain a contract. Two backs are scratched, nobody seems to get hurt, still unethical. Why? Personal interest of obtaining the contract prevailed over general interest to fight corruption. Many people will think that's the wrong order = will find this unethical. But there are zillions of cases where the order of priorities, i.e. the fact whether an act is ethical or not, is open for discussion.

Ethics is about situations more than religion. Some issues are not clear. Consider some situations, some clear and others less clear. Usually an ethical person knows when a potential course of action might smell bad. The variations performed adjust a situation may be where ethics really kicks in.

Company Loyalty; if you work for Ford. Do you buy a Ford or GM? Do you buy Ford or GM stock?

Conflict of interest avoidance; Let’s say that you specify heat exchangers. Heat exchanger company A has an extensive technical training program. Consider the issues brainstorming the - “what ifs”:
It is available for free.
held in a resort.
they cover all expenses.
you are just about to issue an inquiry for bids
you are about to receive bids
Would it always be wrong to go? Are there situations when this is permitted? Would it be better if you let the company know about the invitation?
Would it be OK if your company paid even when the supplier offered to cover the expenses?

Issues may include confidentiality, legal compliance, antitrust avoidance, insider information, customer policies, gifts, entertainment, employment of customers – or competitors with special knowledge, anti-boycott compliance

What if you are involved in a proposal and your customer offers you a copy of a competitor’s proposal or the basis of selection for a contract?

Do you disclose your political activities that may be inconsistent with your companies business?

Are there situations where one project is over and another under budget? Do you ever consider casual timesheet or progress reporting to fit within the goals or guidelines?

When or how should you report activities by others that appear irregular?

John

There's a difference between ethics on a "human" level (your own interest versus the general interest) and ethics on company level, like company loyalty (your own interest versus the company's interest).

I tend to attach more importance to the first category than the second. If I work with Ford, like my job and my salary, but genuinely think GM is better value for money in spite of my daily efforts at work, why should I be morally obliged to give up my job with Ford before buying a GM in my private life wouldn't smell bad? Turn it around: why should my company want to make money on me if they sell me lesser quality products than the competition?

The heat exchanger thing is a different story, when it comes to having personal pleasure prevail over sound business decision-making, something definitely smells bad.

It is interesting that you bring up the difference between ethics. I will postulate that ethics is a hierarchical system. If you were to overly a system of ethics over Maslov’s hierarchy, i.e. associating the ethical rules to the corresponding need, you’d have a very good picture of ethical differences and contradictions, as well as their inherent priorities.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back