Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definition of 'flaw' and 'defect' 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagnamento

Nuclear
Feb 23, 2005
GB
Hi all!

I would like to track down a definitive reference which states the difference between a flaw and a defect in the English language. I believe this originated in AWS somewhere.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only definition you need to be concerned with is how Codes and Standards bodies/organizations view flaws and defects. In ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel code, defect is consistently used throughout the various Code book sections and is defined to be a crack, porosity, lack of fusion, incomplete penetration, etc in welds.

For base metals, Codes and Standards bodies view defects, flaws and now let me introduce imperfections as synonymous terms, and are used interchangeably.

ASME B31.1 has a specific section titled, Definitions. There is one for flaw and one for defect.

In simplest of terms, a defect is a flaw that is defined as rejectable by a Code or Specification.

While all defects are flaws, not all flaws are defects.

Just to clarify EdStainless' post (ref ASNT-TC-1A)

An "Indication" is what the specific NDT method reveals (be it an accumulation of particles, a 'blip' on the UT screen, or bleed-through with penetrant testing). The inspector first determines whether it is relevant (caused by a flaw or imperfection in the material) or irrelevant (an artifact created by the method, such as the build-up of particles on a sharp edge with Mag. Particle). If it is relevant, he then determines whether it is a defect (and, therefore rejectable), or acceptable, based on the accpetance criteria. Depending on the inspection requirements, accpetable indications may have to be recorded, but aren't cause for rejection.

rp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back