Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

civilmg

Civil/Environmental
Feb 26, 2003
US
Could someone provide me with a good textbook definition of "right of way" and "invert." The "invert" that I am speaking of is in reference to culverts and such. I have a good working definition of the terms, but I am curious about the technical definition as I often believe the terms are incorrectly used. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Invert, The lowest visible surface, the floor, of a culvert, drain, sewer, channel or tunnel. (from the dictionary of Civil Engineering, John S. Scott)

I'm not sure what context you mean when refering to "right of way". Please clarify and I might be able to help

Regards,

Tonks

I apologize for not clearing this up. The "Right of Way" that I speak of is in the context of roadway design, etc...

Thanks for your help

Your first post was perfectly clear. Right-of-way is the property dedicated for a public improvement. It's most often used in conjunction with roadways, but sometimes for sewers, water mains, etc.

The previous post was right for invert, but note that it refers to the bottom of the channel (inside of the conduit) not the bottom of the pipe.

Invert definition is correct - now if you want to "rib" some clients, give the obvert instead!!!

ROW (right-of-way) in highway design is basically the land that the government authority has acquired into which to put their road, toe drains, etc. Usually, governments buy lots of land in case of futher expansion. Sometimes, as in India here, that is not possible and we only have 30m from centreline of dual-carriageway. In some cases, we have had to build retaining walls because, although there was lots of vacant land, it wasn't in the acquired ROW.

[cheers]

With respect to the "right-of-way" definition, although I am neither a lawyer nor a surveyor, it is generally accepted that a right-of-way is land that is actually owned "fee simple" by the public entity, be it a municipality, a state, or federal government. That public entity holds legal title to the land. This is different from an easement, in which case the public entity has been granted (or has taken) the rights to place certain public improvements within the easement, but they don't own the land.

Invert is the term used to specify the elevation at the lowermost point of fluid flow. The bottom of a pipe, the lowermost point in a gutter, the mean elevation in corrugated pipe or the lowest point in a stream is the invert.

With reference to right of way, this is the defined boundary as described in a registered legal (lands) instrument wherein the lands are permissed or sold (as fee simple) for a defined purpose, such as a road, utility corridor, buffer zones or working areas. In Alberta, there really are no such instruments as entitled easements anymore, they are simply registered as right-of-ways. Since they are registered they have accompanying plans and are pinned.

KRS Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back