Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

deflections in deep beams with web openings

Status
Not open for further replies.

i need to find an equation or method to determine deflections in a deep beam with web openings due to both shear and bending forces. where can i find this? where would be a good place to start looking?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would be very surprised if you will be able to find a suitable formula of general application. This is one case where I would go immediately to some suitable FE sofware.

The references given in the CISC Handbook of Steel Construction 7th Edition for this topic are:

Redwood, R.G. 1974. The influence of web holes on the design of steel beams. Procedings, Canadian Structural Engineering Conference, Canadian Steel Construction Council, Willodale, Ontario.

Redwood, R.G. 1971. Simplified plastic analysis for reinforced web holes. Engineering Journal, AISC, 8(3): 128-131

Redwood, R.G., and Shrivastava, S.C. 1980. Design recommendations for steel beams with web holes. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 7(4), December.

Redwood, R.G., and Wong, P. 1982. Web holes in composite beams with steel deck. Procedings, Canadian Structural Engineering Conference, Canadian Steel Construction Council, Willowdale, Ontario.

I have not had the chance to pull these references so I can't tell you if they have the answers to your questions.

If you do get a chance to pull these references, please let us know your findings.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back