Deformable Assemblies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Befuddled

Aerospace
Jan 9, 2008
GB
Here's and interesting one.......

I have used deformable parts for years, so am fairly comfortable with creating and using them.

I now have a scenario which has me thinking........

We want to create a 'template part of a tube, with a fitting on either end'. The fittings are standard parts in their own right, and reside in the reuse library.

Today, To create a tube assembly (we don't use routing):-
1.) we create a new part, define a sketch with a single line in it (the centreline of the tube)
2.) create a tube down the line.
3.) add the fittings on either end, using then normal reuse library capability with constraints

ie very straight forward.

We we would like to do do, is rather than creating a new tube for every single tube assembly, use a predefined template part as all of the tube assemblies are topologically the same.

So I have tried to turn the above into a deformable part (controlling the length of the line). This works to alter the length of the tube when its inserted as a child component. Unfortunately the fittings don't reposition to the follow the revised length of the tube as they keep their position reference from the original part.

is it possible to make this work, or is it a step to far for the deformable capability?

Thanks in advance....

Befuddled

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a similar construction on another CAD system the approach that worked was to define the end fittings relative to each other and then add a deformable tube that got it's length from the distance between the mating surfaces. It only needed to be assembled to one fitting and was guaranteed to reach the other. A great side effect was the distance between mounting holes on the fittings was the desired dimension to control - that dimension was the one used to set the spacing between the fittings.

:(

Nope, it seems NX just wont understand the that deformable part has a dependent child... even tried variations on wave linking, promotes, extracts ect....

happy for someone to prove me wrong on NX1973

:(

thanks for offering some ideas though.....

B.....

Have a look at this guide.
It might work for you also without the routing appl.
Splines are associative even without linking the objects that should be snapped to, but do not mention that to Siemens...

Regards,
Tomas

The more you know about a subject, the more you know how little you know about that subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back