Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deformation of a componente in contact with himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pio3

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2008
CH
I'm usig Pro Mechanica integrated in ProE WF2 and i'm simulating a deformation of one component. But the problem is that this component has a flange that under the force has to come in contact with itself. I'm tring to use contact command, but the flange penetrate the upper part of the component. This is not the real simulation, because that flange has to deformed itself when be in contact with other surface of the component.

Anyone have a comment to solve this situation?

thank you very much

I have attached an image that rapresents the 2 situation: "NO" is the actual situation of penetration, "YES" is the condition i'm searching to obtain

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to setup contacts between the two surfaces that will eventually come into contact.

Also, make sure that you check the results based upon 2 or 3 different analyses with differnt number of load step increments. The load stepping the method in which mechnical approximates the non-linear solution.

Steve

Just a dum question on my part, are you basing your conclusion that it is touching becuase you can "see" it on your Review or you know it deflected so mayn inches that you know it is touching? Because on your Review window, it is a "cartoon" and has a certain % off defelection shown, but not the "actual" distance traveld.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back