Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Degreaser 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

qca2003

Chemical
Oct 13, 2003
ID

I would like to clean residual oil ( lubricating oil ) in side of pipe line. What kind the degreaser ( or formula degreaser ) suitable fo this purpose and How to the method to clean its ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are you try to clean out of the line. An oil or a sludge?

If its' oil use a lighter hydrocarbon with a Flash point above 140̊F. Watch out using light hydrocarbons. We used a product called flushing oil or insecticide base

If it a sludge and the system isn't too large and you can use a commercial cleaner in that all you have to do is mix and circulate. These are alkaline cleaners that have all the required ingredients, wetting agents , rinsing agents, etc. Be careful of any traps in your system will hold any cleaning agent. Rinse well.
For very large systems we using a cleaning company.

Talk to the chemical cleaning supplier if there is any heavy deposits or shellac that need to be taken care of.

We have cleaned small systems with just steam or high pressure water.

Good luck, take care, and work safely.

As unclesyd indicated, there is more information needed in order to properly respond. Among these would be:

What is the lubricant or material being removed?

What are the pipes and contact materials constructed of?

What delivery methods are currently available? (Are there circulation pumps available in the system that could be used?)

How large a system is it? (Pipe diameter, linear feet etc)

What recovery methods will be used? (remediation, collect and dispose etc)

Are there general or specific safety issues involved? (Flammables, Corrosives, personel issues, environmental etc.)

There are any number of solvent based products that could be used in such a situation. My main concerns would be removal of all residues, hazardous nature of the cleaning product, wetted material compatability (seals, pipes, pumps etc) and disposal issues.

There could also be environmentally friendly products based on natural solvents that could do the job and have the benefit of being non-hazardous.

Any additional information you could supply would be helpful. I'll do the best I can in recommending product types for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back