Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

degree symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicman2

Civil/Environmental
Jun 6, 2003
CA
Years ago I was able to modify the degree symbol to give it a larger diameter. I believe I modified the *.shp file which became a *.shx file. This was back in the Acad 2.5 days. Is it still possible to do this with Acad2000? I also rember having a hard time finding the ASCII number for the degree symbol, is this still important?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends upon the font that the symbol is defined in. Each font will be a slight bit different. There is a program available to create your own shp and shx files, but I cannot remember where it can be aquired from.
Now let me give you some good news. You don't have to redefine the degree symbol. With the advent of MText, you can specify a different text size for any character in a string as well as using different fonts in the same block of text. Simply highlight the text to be changed and then change the properties in the mtext editor window. You can easily scale individual letters or symbols, as well as include symbols and letters from other font files that are not included with the current textstyle.

Just another comment, if your customer doesn't ahve your "new" "custom" font, they will not plot the same symbol.

Dude,
You can always do MTEXT.
In the MTEXT dialog box ...
At the top & to the right ...
You should see something called "SYMBOL".
Click it ...
Click "OTHER"
Browse thru your "True Type Fonts" in windows.
You're bound to find a large enough Degree symbol.

Click/Highlight the symbol .. you want ...
At the bottom ...
Click select ....
Then highlight light it again at the bottom ..
And click copy ...
Then click back in you MTEXT dialog box and "CTRL V" to paste your symbol.

And I do believe you must foward that font with you CAD file, in order for it to display. I don't think "pack-n-go" OR "etransmit" will catch it.

I hope that helps.
[wink]
Rich

I dont know if this is what you are looking for, on the comman line after invoking the text command, type the value of the angle followed by %%d.

If you are using MText, the insertion of the ascii character is really simple. For the degree symbol, the ascii character is ALT+248 (on the data keypad, not on the top row of keys). Example: 20°C=68°F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back