Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Degrees of freedom/Temperature/Constraint error? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojoka4052

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2021
NO
I have two shell models where each has varying thickness connected with a tie constraint. I have temperature loads in my model, and when I run my model I get the following error for the nodes on one of the parts (XXX-1):

"Error in job XXX: NO TEMPERATURE DEGREE OF FREEDOM EXISTS ON NODE 31 INSTANCE XXX-1. *TIE OPTION CAN NOT BE USED"

I disabled the temperature steps (where I apply temperature loads) but I still get the same error, should not the error dissappear when all the temperature load steps are removed? Could there be another reason for this error message?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure that the element type, step type and BCs/loading are all compatible. Sometimes it’s easy to forget to change one of these and then the errors regarding unavailable DOFs appear.

This may be due to not changing the element type for heat transfer analysis. Also may be, you have defined predefined field which is required for heat transfer analysis which is not deleted/deactivated/suppressed for structural analysis. That is why this error is reappearing.

FEA way, could I ask about another error I get:

***ERROR: in keyword *CONFLICTS, file "XXX.inp", line 17208: Keyword
*Conflicts is generated by Abaqus/CAE to highlight changes made via
the Keywords Editor that conflict with changes made subsequently via
the native GUI.

Is it possible to highlight the error they mention? I copy pasted from the .inp file and I think this is what they meant by line 17208? Not sure what error theyre referring to..

1_ftwqej.jpg

Edit: Get same error here and a few other places highlighted in the yellow line.

3_io4z8k.jpg

This error means that you added or changed some keywords using the built-in editor and then they became incompatible with what is defined in Abaqus/CAE. To eliminate this error you can simply delete the whole *Conflict lines from the keyword editor. But generally speaking, it’s better to avoid using this tool (exactly because of these issues) and instead modify the input files after exporting them from CAE.

I am working on a model someone else made, and therefore I am not sure what changes they made in the keyword editor. I tried to look for "*Conflict" but couldn't find it anywhere. Any suggestions?

Changes done in the Keyword Editor should be highlighted there when working on a .cae model. There’s also a button to remove all the changes at once.

I fixed all the errors and it runs smoothly, but only if I supress the temperature loads. I tried changing the element type from S4R to S4RT and running with temp loads but still get the samme error as the first one I posted. So it all seems to be related to temperature loads.

I see the temperature load step is "Type: Coupled temp-displacement". Do you think it could be related to this? I guess I could try another constraint option besides tie, but im not sure this would even make a difference.

For coupled temperature-displacement analyses with shells you should use S4RT and equivalent elements.

How exactly do you apply these temperature loads ? As a boundary condition of the temperature type ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back