Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Delay editing Links

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weimsguy

Civil/Environmental
Mar 1, 2017
US
Has anyone else experience a delay editing a Link? Delay is around 30 seconds, not a huge delay, but longer than other elements. The Links are not tied to any other projects. HydroCAD v 10.10-5a Five Node. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The delay in links 1L and 2L is because you're using manual hydrographs with thousands of points. Although HydroCAD itself can handle an unlimited number of ordinates, the manual link was intended for manual entry with up to 100 points or so. You will notice that the edit button is quick for 3L, which has 341 points.

One solution is to enter fewer points into the link. For example, 2L has flow values out to 250 hours, but your calculations only run to 17 hours. Drop the unused extra values and you'll be fine.

Or you could use a file link, which would load the data directly from the file where it presumably originated.

But since you seem to be simulating Texas TCEQ runoff with the links, why not generate the runoff hydrographs directly in HydroCAD, as you normally would? The TCEQ rainfall distributions are already included with HydroCAD.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I did not think about the delays being caused by the manual hydrographs, but it makes perfect sense now. The hydrographs are cut and paste from HEC-HMS with a 10 sub-basin model and several small reservoirs and reach routings. I only have the 5 node version of HydroCAD, so it is easier for me just to use HEC-HMS when the model exceeds that limit. I did use HydroCAD's built in TCEQ storm distributions to make sure I entered the rainfall events correctly into HEC-HMS. The runoff values from HydroCAD for each of the 10 sub-basins was practically identical to HEC-HMS. I am using HydroCAD to model the dam I am studying because it is not readily modeled in HEC-RAS; It has a drop structure with box culverts at the bottom. It is interesting that I got your reply while I am in the middle of trimming back the hydrographs to the point where outflow stops. The TCEQ 5hr events have outflow until around 16 hrs and the 1hr events stop around 12 hrs. The HEC-HMS model I received from FEMA was setup to run for 24 hours at 1 minute time slice. I am working my way back through all the hydrographs using 3 minute time slice to the point where there is no longer any flow. The file I posted is 3 of the 15 different rain events I have to look at and had the original hydrographs from HEC-HMS in L1 and L2. L3 was just a zero to max PMF flow I was using as for a rating curve. I am using HydroCAD to determine the percentage of the PMF flows that dam can pass safely.

Follow up on Peter's comment on the manual hydrograph. I have updated all 15 rainfall events and pared the hydrographs down to a maximum of 341 records for the 5hr events. There is now no delay when selecting Edit for any of the Links in my projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back