Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleat a part in a sub assembly within a sub assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azum

Mechanical
Oct 26, 2007
GB
Just picked this up within SW2013 which has the potential for disaster if not aware of it. Its already cost me a lot of time in rebuilding some assemblies.
If a sub assembly is within another sub assembly and you clicked on any part of the sub sub assembly and pressed deleat the whole sub assembly would go. Now in 2013 the part you clicked on is deleated from the sub sub assembly without any extra warning other than you are removing constraints. There is no undo button available. As soon as you hit deleat there is no going back. Then you or someone else will open that assembly in the future and wonder why some parts are missing.
Does not appear to be any way to disable it. My VAR says it was in response to a customer request. No you do not need to to 'edit component' in a sub assembly mode to make it happen.

Will be very interested to see what others think as I feel this is a real step backwards!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Azum,

If you realize you screwed up, there always is exit without saving.

I have been shocked when I have deleted stuff from sub-assemblies, and lost the entire sub-assembly. I guess this new thing is a more insidious surprise.

What we really need to do is always to be aware of what part or assembly is active when we do stuff.

--
JHG

I am not sure if closing without saving would reverse the action. I will have to test it.
True we should be aware of what parts are in what assemblies but others use my assemblies for reference in their work and thats when accidents occur
My VAR told me that for every one that complained an equal number were in favour. I am not so sure.

We have put in a request that we should be able to choose in options which style of deleat we have. This I think should be fair. I have been working 14 years on SW so its hard to change a workflow now but the cost of screwing up is very great. I have already had to rebuild two large assemblies when another very experienced worker deleted parts to create a lightweight part in a configuration not realizing it was a sub assembly

Azum,
As JHG suggested, nothing is perm. until you save

If undo does not work you can always reload your part or assembly (file, reload)
so if you are working on part within context of a assembly, and mess up the part
open the part and reload (part will be updated), then go back to your assembly you part file will be updated in the assembly.

Same goes with assemblies.
But you have to remember this is only good from the last save.
So if you made changes in other parts in a assembly that you want keep and reload the assembly your changes are gone.

This is for sw2012 not sure if it is the same in 2013.

HTH
Frank

Hi all and thank you for your comments
Appreciate that now I and others in the company are aware of this its less likely to happen.
Saving.
True until saved its not permanent. However the point is the person may not realize he had deleted a part in a sub assembly.
The save notice on closing would come up as expected but it may not be noticed that it is asking to save a sub sub assembly as well as the open assembly.
I for one tend to save without looking as I expect it to have to save as I have made changes. Unfortunately I would also be saving changes in a sub sub assembly as well. And from this there is no going back.

So now Solidworks has introduced this change what does it do for us. RMB on the assembly in the feature tree and it will open the assembly for editing. The 'Edit in context' command and the sub assembly can be edited from the open assembly. Both safe tried and tested options

I really am at a loss to see what this new functionality bring to the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back