Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete a Component From a Part Family 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew2323

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2007
US
I've got one part in my NX 8.5 Part Family that I'd like to delete. How do I do this? I could delete it from TeamCenter 9 but not the spreadsheet of my part family.

Thanks,
Matthew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does the 'family member' already exist or are you simply talking about removing it from the spreadsheet of the Part Family template, i.e. master, file?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,

It's been created already. It's in the spreadsheet, it's in TeamCenter... It needs to be gone before someone tries to use it.

Thanks,
Matthew

Well you need to first delete the Family member file from Teamcenter and then you need to go to the Family master template file, open the spreadsheet and delete/remove the line defining this particular family member from the Spreadsheet and then save the changes to the Spreadsheet and then save the Part file itself.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Well, that was my first thought... and the part still returns to the spreadsheet. On a positive note, the part has been successfully deleted from TC.

Any idea why the spreadsheet retains the component?

Michaël,

Yes I did. That's what so perplexing. It seems like it should be a fairly simple operation.

I selected the row in Excel and used a right-click delete. After that I saved the Excel file and then exited the spreadsheet. Lastly I saved the part in NX. When I re-open the Part Family the unwanted row returns.

Bizarre, I confess.

Matthew

If the table isn't too large try a save as... of the template and recreate the members (of course without deleted component).

Best regards,

Michaël.

NX7.5.4.4 + TC Unified 8.3
Win 7 64 bit

Micky, I think that the case is closed.
Matthew, there is more than whats visible going on in between NX and Teamcenter, in this case obviously the sync between the NX part family and Teamcenter wasn't up to date until you ran the "Update Parts", NX had to revert back to the state where the row in the spreadsheet existed because Teamcenter still had this data.

Regards,
Tomas

Tomas,

That was the funny thing, it was deleted in TC. I did a TC search and that configuration could not be found. So the hang up was with within NX. Knowing that, I had to get into the 'mind' of NX and realized that there had to be more buttons to click to get a simple task completed. So I tried the "Update Parts" option. I'd imagine "Save Family" would have worked as well. Initially I'd thought saving the Excel sheet and closing it would have updated the sheet, especially since the part had already been deleted in TC, but one more step remained...

Kind regards,
Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back