Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete and patch feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

toycept

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2004
US
Has anyone noticed any problems using the Delete and Patch feature? Since using 2009 I've noticed it doesn't always work. There's not little surfaces that are missed in being selected, which would cause the feature to fail... it just doesn't seem to work successfully as when I used 2008 or 2007. Thought I'd ask if anyone else noticed any issues....
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not noticed any difference between 2008 and 2009.

When importing files there are usually one or two faces that have problems and I will have to replace a face with a surface that I have created.

The boundary surface is very powerful. It gives you a lot of control.

I've not yet done much with surfaces in v2009, but in v2008, the surface features are MUCH more likely to fail or stall. By "stall", I mean I can create a feature, such as a mutual Trim, and later while working on the model, that Trim will inexplicably fail to solve. No valid error, nothing even changed with the Trim feature from upstream work--it just won't work anymore. To get around this, I roll up past that item, and insert an identical mutual Trim feature--which works just fine. I then patch up downstream features that rely on the failed feature (trade which is included) and delete the failed feature when the model is again stable.

I wasted two hours just last night following broken-without-reason surfacing issues of this sort. From what I see, Trim for surfaces is the weakest link in v2008, but my Fills seem fairly robust. I tend to use edges of surfaces (for great tangency control) instead of sketch lines or curves with my Fills. A bit more work on the front-end, but saves huge amounts of time (and pulled-out hair) in the long run. I sure hope they didn't botch this feature in v2009 or all my curvy stuff will certainly be hosed. (And curvy stuff is almost all I do.)

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

I'm pretty sure that I saw something about Delete and Patch in the video from SWW Blog on Friday 13th:

SolidWorks World 2009 - Tips & Tricks with Phil Sluder

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2009x64 SP2.1 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2009x32 SP1.1 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.11.7751

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back