Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell M60 vs. D800

Status
Not open for further replies.

werks

Mechanical
May 2, 2001
US
Hello everyone. I need as much input as possible from you wizards on the following. I've been thinking lately of investing in a mobile workstation. I've read in previous threads on how some of you have lauded on the Dell M60. A client of mine visited me today and he had SW 5.0 running on his Dell Latitude D800. He let me try it and it functioned perfectly. Now I'm confused; any input, experiences, pros & cons are greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for your valuable input and help this pass year that has bailed me & my office out of jams. Your input makes this website our favorite engineering resource. Thanks again.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess it depends on what you mean by "functioned perfectly". What did you do during your "test drive" of the machine?

Did you open multiple windows of SW?
How large of an assembly did you open?
What type of drawings did you open?
Did you rebuild anything large?
Did you edit any in-context components?

The D800 has a nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5650 graphics card, one that is not certified for SW use. If it's not certified, it's bound to turn into a bumpy ride sooner than later.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Well, to be fair, I don't see any mobile cgraphics cards being listed on the SW site. Am I missing something?

The models of the Dell Precision line are:
M70- nVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400 256MB graphics card
M60- nVIDIA Quadro FX Go1000 128MB graphics card
M50- nVIDIA Quadro2 Go 32MB graphics card

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Nvidea "GO" cards are mobile graphics cards. I have an M-60 and would buy one again. I have to agree with Madmango, you really need to have a workstation system with an approved driver for heavy use. My $.02

Thanks for the input. Mandango: I did try everything you suggested. The assembly was 9 parts with lots of features. This may not have been the ideal trail but it got me thinking. Scott: I will do more searches on laptops. Thanks again and any more $.02 worth is highly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back