Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deluge system piping pitching ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarewm

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2008
CA
Does piping for Deluge systems need to pitched ?
I have 5 deluge sytems protecting an glass wall atrium with open nozzles . NFPA 13 call for all dry systems to be pitched , but I would be in the thought process to apply NFPA 15 Water spray fixed sytems(2007) 6.3.3.1 "all water spray systems pipe and fittings shall be installed so the system can be drained "

So any trapped piping would require a drain . Its not in an area where its supject to freezing either .

thanks in advance !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Main drain

Do not have the book, but it is not a dry system, so should not have to be pitchers,
Yes if trapped areas install drain if book requires it

Most of the piping should be open

It would be a good idea to get as much of the water out as possible to avoid corrosion.

Even if the pipe is galvanised, I think it would be a good idea to get the water out.

My Take.....

1. Will you ever trip the system and fill it with water?? Most likely not unless they(building owner) have provided drainage for the water, which most do not.
2. The pipe will have openings every 10-12'I assume since they will have open sprinklers and or nozzle’s. So I would think any water that MAY be in the pipe will evaporate.
3. Any trapped pipe should have provisions to be drained via low point drains.

So to answer your question, NO and I think NFPA will agree.

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

in NFPA 13 8.16 drains, deluge does not appear there with a requirement for pitch.

yes you still have to drain any sections of the pipe that may have trapped water.

I think the system will need to be filled with water so it can be pressure tested. If that's the case, there should be a way of getting the water out after testing.

Blue

Unless you plug every sprinkler head opening there is no way to pressure test it

Yes on initial install, but after that the piping is completely open, if we are talking about a true deluge system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back