Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Deluge valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemical
Feb 14, 2003
KR
Are there any restriction to use on-off valve instead conventional deluge valve? (Hydraulic signal actuated diapharm valve.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a huge differnec between deluge valve and the on-off (wet type) valve. The wet type valve is normally used for buiding protection, and deluge valve is used for large area/equipment protection with open nozzles

I assume you mean an unlisted process type on/off valve? Well, it wouldn't be allowed in a listed installation so AHJ's would throw it out there.

If you are designing your own system that isn't required, you'd better be sure it will operate if anyones safety is at risk.

Listed deluge valves are tested and have to meet all types of standards related to reliability that regular valves don't have to meet.
Ken

Slowzuki
You 'r right. I means process type on-off valves which are not in UL or FM list. However, in term of realiability, they can do the same or better then a deluge valve.

I understand that NFPA does not state that deluge valve have to be hydraulic actuated valve. Therefore, we could use process on off valve instead.

I wonder if "9180" original question was about the need of deluge type valves, and why another type of valve (which may be listed) is not used. So I will add a new question (hope 9180 don´t mind)to complement the thread:

Is it permited to have a deluge system (open nozzles) with an on-off valve (a buterfly ULFM, hydralically and manually actuated, or an OS&Y gate valve for example) to supply the water?.

I have a case with open nozzles over an AST (tank) and we propose to control it with a UL-FM gate valve(OS&Y), we think the gate valve is simpler and the maintenance needs are less. The manual actuation is OK for the brigade. The system is NFPA 15 based, but we are not required for code compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back