Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Density of 3" crushed rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd think closer to 120 pcf - maybe more. For me crushed rock is pretty well-graded and there'd be plenty of finer grains to infill the voids of the larger aggregate. Bear in mind coarser soils have a lower void ratio than finer soils. So, just because you can see the voids of a large aggregate material, does not mean the void ratio is greater than a fine grained soil. Given a void ratio of 0.3 and a specific gravity of 2.7, the dry density would be:

GammaD=0.7*62.4*2.7=118 pcf

Then again, I'm not sure the void ratio would be 0.3.

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

don't forget to adjust for the specific gravity of your rock - don't assume that it is 2.7. And different types of rock will crush down differently. Pick any number and you might be right... Might be better to call your local supplier. Granite vs limestone vs basalt vs decomposed granite vs sandstone - all are very different.

right - so you get a range from 104 - 131 pcf depending on just the SG. Also, the void ratio varies depending on the type of rock and procedures used to mine and crush it. So like I said, with all the variables, if you want the correct weight you need to ask the supplier. If you want a ball park plus or minus 10 or 15% than just use 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back