Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Density of mild steel as a function of temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceFabspec

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2007
Hi;
I need to get a "density as a function of temperature" chart or equation from room T (70 F) to melting point (2500 F), if it exists. I'm not looking for a particular classification of steel yet, because I first want to get something representative of a welding situation (weldable material, mild steel).
Bibliographic or web-based references would be greatly appreciated.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

VinceFabspec;
You can try to Google this information, first. I suspect it won't be easy to find.

One source that I have is in Appendix B of "Transportation Phenomena in Materials Processing" by Poirier and Geiger. It lists density at selected temperatures for limited carbon steels, stainless steels and nonferrous alloys.

Hope this help,

data for general steels :

densityos2.jpg

Stan

Thanks a lot Stan;
is it possible to get the reference of this graph, I would like to get a closer look to these results.
Regards

density can easily be calculated if you have thermal expansion coefficient for the material in the temp range
the total mass is constant and volume changes with temp.

Ok;
I can simplify my problem by using the thermal expansion coefficient.

For further evaluation I want to represent the linear (and later the volumetric) dimensional change of an element during the different change of phase and structure (for a chosen steel chemistry):
- Does the density change depending on the phase?

STANISLASDZ, can you give me the reference for the graph above, I would really appreciate!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back