Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

density of seawater!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donkin

Petroleum
Jul 28, 2003
GB
I am trying to calculate the density of slightly evaporated seawater.

Normal seawater at 17% salinity, the density is 1025

What is the density if the seawater has been evaporated to 22%

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if it has any bearing on what you are looking for; however, what you have given, "Normal seawater at 17% salinity, the density is 1025..." sounds quite strange. Where is this "normal", and by any chance to you mean instead a SPECIFIC GRAVITY of 1.025 (that would in my opinion be more "normal", at least for a seawater of say 3.5% or so salinity)?

See brine and seawater in Wikipedia I lack any seawater data on my computer other than Bowditch. Consider downloading Bowditch and perhaps obtain API RP 45.

Seawater salinity (often measured in parts per thousand) varies in different areas of the oceans. The Red Sea has higher salinity than the Gulf of Mexico. The average may be about 35 parts per thousand. Some polar areas may have warmer water with more salinity that are below the cooler and less saline water. Samples at Milford, CT are around 26 and Woods Hole over 32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back