Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dent in tank shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedeng

Materials
Mar 23, 2005
CA
I have a 35 ft atmospheric tank which shows some dent (inward deformation). Bulge would be a better word but bulge is for outward deformation.

How can I evaluate them for integrity and return in service ? API 579 don't include cylindrical with more than 42 inches diameter...(section 12). Can you help me to find some acceptance criteria ?

Does the fact that dent are inward and tank is only atmospheric pressure (under 16 psi at the bottom)help to not being a big issue here ?

Please discuss
Cedric

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can it have hot water or steam introduced? If so the vessel vent is undersized for the MAV (maximum allowable vacuum). Vacuum created by condensate/cooling.

That seems a possible cause of the problem.

Now, what code or calculation guide can I use to evaluate the damage I have.

Dents are not deep, maybe 1 to 2 inches maximum.

I've performed a number of evaluations to API 579 for this exact type of damage. The restriction that you state is for a Level 1 or Level 2 assessment. We've done the Level 3. It's reasonably straight forward to perform, if you know what you're doing with Level 3...

Level 3 is a FEA and before going there, I want to know for other criteria available.

If I have no choice, the FEA will be the solution.
Thanks

As described, it's hard for me to imagine that such a dent would be an issue. If this is a million barrel tank, maybe I'd be concerned.

Has the tank had product or water in it since the dent's been there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back