Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dents, follow-up thread2-37793

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeesG

Aerospace
Oct 27, 2004
US
A while ago there was a discussion regarding the severity of dents, thread2-37793. The discussion was very helpful when I started my project. The new component in this project was that we not only looked at the effect of dents on fatigue, but also looked at static stability of dented stiffened structures. Our findings are published in the ICAF 2005 proceedings “THE EFFECT OF DENTS IN FUSELAGE STRUCTURES ON FATIGUE AND STATIC STABILITY” and the ASIP 2005 proceedings “New Structural Guidelines for Dent Allowables on Fuselages”. I think this will be helpful if you have to deal with dent damage.

The ICAF presentation is more than just the slides, but the message is the same as the ASIP presentation. Let me know if you have any questions or remarks.

This may be reaching back a bit, but PP Bijlaard did some original work in dented shells. It related to rocket cases and skirts, mechanical dents and deformed weld repairs, and there weren't any complaints from the users. His theories were satisfactorily tested by component test.

I just checked, and the ASIP website has been updated with the article which is actually more complete than the ICAF article.

I submitted the subject presentations to BAC commercial support to get there feedback and to see if they could add more liberal allowables to the commercial aircraft SRM's. They responded stating that there are current limits for Dents in SRM and that they do not forsee getting involved in any further testing. We'll see where it goes from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back