Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dependant parts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

koyote5

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2004
US
how can i make one part dependant on another without skeletal modeling(using an initial skatch as a general layout).

i need one part to fit inside another and be able to be automatically updated when the the other part changes, but the entire thing is a multidynamic component and constraining it it to a skeletal sketch would make it nearly impossible to get it right.

can i some how set up a relationship between two such curves of two different parts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Another way is to have the features of part (B) going to vertex of a layout sketch in part (A.). The two parts must have the same origin. Use the (3) plans from each part to mate coincident.

As stated above you can "In-context" your parts ... model one part from the features of another within an assembly (rather than as an individual part) or you could use an Equation which uses a feature dimension of one part to drive a feature dimension of another.

[cheers]

That only depends on how you build it. I have spent years building files like this and all my models are stable when I In-context them. In-contexting is not for new users to SW. You have to be meticulous and pay extremely close attention to every detail, or you will build and unstable file... and that is not SW fault but rather the users fault.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

faq731-376

Well said Scott a star for you. I've been away from Sowidworks for a year but I was running in Context designs for the better part of 4 years. At first I was making unstable files, but as I learned more, from guys like you on here, and from training I got to the point where my files had the same level of stability as the part files. You put it very well, when running in context you must be meticulous with every detail or it can snowball on you.

Alan M. Etzkorn [machinegun] [elk]
Product Develpment Engineer
Wabash National Corp.

We incontext everything here and have not had much in the way of problems. Make sure that all of the pieces of your assembly are fully defined before you start to add incontext features to them.

mncad

thanks for the help everyone. ive never actually designed a part this way before. ive always just made it part by part. the problem is all the pieces i have already exist as parts and not in context. is there anyway to change this with property settings, etc.? It would be a shame to have to redesign every component again.

If they are not in-contexted, then what's the problem? You can't change the in-contexting of a part with a property setting...?? In-contexting is about redefining Geometry to be controlled by other geometry. That is in no way related to property setting. See help on In-context Definition for clarification.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

faq731-376

the problem im having is that if the parts are created in the assembly I can for example make one component's feature concentric with another, so that if one changes so does the other. If they are created as parts and then imported into an assembly SW dosent let me associate them like this. Can I somehow get SW to let me?

You would have to edit the sketch relations of the features that you want to make in-context while that part was part of the assy.

[green]"But what... is it good for?"[/green]
Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

SW just doesnt let me do it and i cant figure out why. Im also trying to set up an equation between two dimension in two separate parts. ineed a pin to fit through a hole with a little bit of space between some of the concentric parts. in the EQ editor SW doesnt let me pick the a D from a different sketch.

i think i just figured out what i was doing wrong. I couldnt figure out how to get the dimensions to show but ive gotten it to work.
thanks a lot for all your help ladies and gents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back