Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deried Sketch Orientation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdg268

Mechanical
Dec 17, 2004
US
I have a derived sketch that needs to be rotated 180 deg. about the vertical axis. That is, I want the derived sketch mirrored, or pasted on the "back" side of the plane. Anyone know how to do this??

John Graham CSWP
kngt.gif

Mechanical Design Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A 180 rotation is just a mirrored entity about a centerline. Am I missing something? can you turn your derived entity (which I am assuming is a converted entity from a solid/surface) into construction geometry? Can you create a new sketch on this "back" plane? What if you transform/copied this derived entity by the 180, created the sketch, and did a delete body? i'm not even sure if I understand your question, but I figured I'd look at it since I'm writing monster toolpaths all day and my CPU is maxed... so eng tips is about the only other thing i am running.

RFUS

1) Insert the derived sketch, exit sketch.
2) RMB on sketch in FM then chose edit sketch plane. Chose a plane that is parallel to the axis you wish to mirror about but perpendicular to the original plane.
3) RMB on sketch in FM then chose edit sketch plane. Chose original sketch plane.

The result should be a mirrored derived sketch.

Scott,
Tools/sketch tools/modify will only rotate the sketch within the plane, and I need it mirrored.

Rfus,
Your suggestion has been one of the only viable ways of doing this. I'm using derived sketches to create a lofted feature, and since the profile is not symetric, I need a specific orientation. The other way to do it is to trick SolidWorks by defining the sketch plane incorrectly, inserting the derived sketch, then redefining the sketch plane correctly. For some reason the sketch shows up the way I want it.

Thanks

John Graham CSWP
kngt.gif

My way works and scott get the star. I feel so slighted.

I'm not sure who gave Scott the star, but you and MichaelWeb74 really had the solution.

John Graham CSWP
kngt.gif

Yes, Scott is right.

but

My thoughts on the matter are that by creating a new sketch in the "back" plane, using convert entities on the original derived sketch entity, and then turning this into contruction geometry, creating a center line to mirror on, mirroring this sketch, and turning what you mirrored back into a sketch entity from constuction geometry, you would have a parametrically linked sketch through a symetric relation, so if you happened to change your original derived entity (without any deletion), then the sketch in the back plane would automatically update.

When trying to use modify on a fixed entity, you will get the message 'a sketch with external refs to model geometery cannot be translated or rotated.' If you ask me, construction geometry is the way to go for this reason.

RFUS

You're right! I was playing around with the buttons earlier, but didn't notice it mirrored it. My sketch looks very symetrical, so I couldn't tell it mirrored until zooming in.
Thanks a bunch Scott!

John Graham CSWP
kngt.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back