Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Derived Component great but what about the 2D drg

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo30

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2004
GB
Hi im using Inventor 10 and have been for quite sometime. I have come across another instance where some help if possible would be greatly appreciated. When you derive a component part to make handed components we also need a 2D drawing for the handed part, so, can we copy the 2D drawing of the original part to a new file name and then re-direct the base view filename path in the new drawing to the handed part?

I would greatly appreciate some help on this as we do this time and time again and it would prevent a lot of work.

My thanks. Stevo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I totally agree but the firm i work for require a drawing for both components. Labour intensive i know but thats how they work. Any ideas on how we can do this?

If you just require a mirror of the original...just insert the original into an assembly and mirror it.

Inventor will give you the option of selecting a prefix or a suffix for the new mirrored part.

Plus it is classed as a seperate part and you can make a 2D drawing of it.

Thanks hydromech for the reply i wondered if the original part 2D could be mirrored to give us the 2D for the new drawing. Or if we could copy the 2D drawing rename it and then call up a different base view to give us the required drawing. Is this possible??

2D drawings are simply a by-product in the creation of 3D solid models. The 2D *.idw file can only be created from a solid model. All views are constructed from the solid model.

Whenever I have wanted to create an "opposite as drawn" part I have mirrored the original inside an assembly. That way it creates an autonomous part that can be used as required.

All I can suggest is that you do whatever suits you best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back