descon brace

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnorth

Structural
Oct 30, 2006
US
hello all,
does any one have experience using descon brace software for braced frame connections?
if so, what feedback would you give, and have you ever checked results with hand calcs?
TIA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my experience Descon provides very conservative answers. This may be due to programing or user understanding. I have recommended the software for use in estimated fabrication and erection requirements. Although I am biased, it is difficult to find packaged software that considers the fabrication cost of CJP welds, increased fillet sizes, stiffener plates, or doubler plates. Or software that allows much user control of these considerations.

What is your intended use? Do you work as a detailer, fabricator, or engineer?

As an estimating tool, the software can provide valuable information for an accurate bid. Fabricators due not have the resources to design connections for a project at the bid stage. The software call allow an estimator to provide a more educated judgement of the connections required. However, conservative connection design will cost money in detailing, fabrication, and erection. And in turn cost the owner money.

Also, a good tool in the wrong hands can be dangerous. Without understanding the design principals a user can make gross errors. I have seen examples of moment frames designed with moments input as gravity moments only. Therefore not checking the columns for the appropriate column shear (additive lateral moment) or providing the adequate reinforcement. In this case the software was not conservative enough. But not due to programming error, but rather user error.

As I mentioned, fabrication and erection economies are rarely taught in the classroom or a lecture series. Therefore packaged software rarely make these considerations in their design. In my opinion the software users should understand the calculations being performed. Our proprietary software has been developed for nearly every structural connection imaginable. But, I require that all new engineers complete the same calculations by hand. They need to understand how changes in the detail effect the design limit states. What are the effects of changing bolt gage, pitch, edge distance, etc. etc. For most engineers their connection design experience consisted of 2 weeks during their steel course. Probably LRFD only and the textbook or printed examples are at least one manual edition behind. I recall one of my homework problems actually used rivets. Showing that even the professor lacked practical experience. Most young engineers don't even know that fabrication shop drawings are required and that all of the connections are detailed for each fabricated piece.

Sorry for my "soap box".

We have been using DESCON BRACE and DESCONWIN for the last 3 years and it is an extremely good tool for designing connections. The design calculations and the details generated are quite complete.

Go for it!

I've also used both in my office. I actually consider it to be a good bang for you buck. It can output your finished connection to a DFX file which can then be used by AutoCad. It saves some time versus having to mark up drawings for you draftsmen. It actually one of my favorite programs as I would simply hate having to do all of those connection calculations by hand. I've never used Ram Connections. My guess though would be if you are simply wanting to detail and design a stand alone connection your not going to beat Descon in its simplicity to use. It can also be integrated with RISA 3D but I haven't tried that out yet.

John Southard, M.S., P.E.

I use both and I like RAM Connection better. RAM Connection is more user friendly in my opinion. It's updated more often, and the output looks better. The latest version provides detailed calculations in addition to a summary calculation, which is nice.

Stand alone. Generally I use it when doing connection design for steel fabricators. In my part of the country the EOR tends to delegate the connection design to an engineer hired by the fabricator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back