Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

design a contiguous pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arun2505

Geotechnical
Feb 14, 2024
IN
currently I am trying to learn about designing a contiguous pile, but I could not be able to find any manual / code for designing it in excel. can someone suggest me a proper textbook or previously designed work templates of contiguous pile/ any design codes.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can understand the behavior of contiguous pile using the mentioned document. I found it very useful.
But actual design example is not mentioned in it, so I have assumed to design the pile asper IS 2911, where I have planned to design as per the following:

Step 1: Calculate the earth pressure based on the bore log report.
Step 2: Calculate the pile capacity as per IS 2911 (vertical and lateral). Since the contiguous pile is fixed at the top by using a guide wall/strip raft, I will assume the pile head as fixed headed.
Step 3: If my lateral capacity after excavation is less than the lateral pressure from the earth, then I will try to increase the diameter.

can you comment on my design assumption.

Your approach is wrong , unfortunately. The standard you quote is for pile design, not retaining wall design.

Most geotechnical textbooks have a section on retaining walls and the steps required to determine the length. There are likely some examples of calcs give on this forum if you search.

For embedded retaining walls you need to determine your factor of safety against over turning.

In your case, the pile diameter is only really dependent on the structural capacity of the wall. You need to check the moment and shear force applied to the wall against the structural capacity of the wall.

You might also resize the diameter to increase stiffness and minimise deflections.

Page 201-C760 gives detailed steps on how to design the wall. It does refer to Eurocodes 7 requirements (DA1C1 and DA1C2), however these are just factors that you apply actions, and parameters etc. The fundamentals of what you need to do is laid out for you in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back