Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design aluminum pipe as support beam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1437n6

Civil/Environmental
Aug 5, 2007
US
I have designed a steel pipe to be used as a support beam to support roll goods for material handling. The pipe spans 6 feet between support brackets, and therefore is over the allowable 50 lb weight limit for one employee to lift. I would like to look at designing an aluminum pipe to replace the steel pipe due to its light weight. I have not done any design with Aluminum and need help with the properties, any different design codes, allowable deflection, etc.
If needed, following are the requirements for the design:
- maximum pipe diameter to be 6".
- span is 6'
- distributed load is 28" wide, weighing 3500 lbs (centered on the beam).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

..or go to The Aluminum Association.

You will likely use 6061-T6 or 6063-T6 pipe. Yield will be in the 26ksi to 32ksi range.

Pay attention to the temper...it makes a big difference in mechanical properties. Keep in mind that within 1 inch of a weld, the allowable mechanical properties go way down...example: 6063-T6 allowable bending stress = 15,150 psi. Same material within 1 inch of a weld, allowable bending stress=6,667 psi.

Most comparable sizes to steel available in aluminum. Allowable deflections are the same as for steel, but application dependent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back