Design and engineering of Perlite concrete blocks for Butene storage Tank 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meesamali512

Structural
Jul 12, 2012
AE
Dear All,
We have a project where the client needs replacement of some of its damaged perlite blocks supporting the cryogenic tank containing liquid BUTENE at operating temp. of -6.4 degrees celsius. Client doesn't have ANY specs or details related to existing blocks and some of the existing blocks have failed in crushing (most probably due to lesser compression strength). Now we have following data related to tank and we need to DESIGN the concrete blocks containing PERLITE (to account for insulating properties of perlite).

1. Tank diameter (inside) = 36.00 m
2. Tank height = 10.80 m
3. Liquid level = 10.50 m
4. Storage material = Butene
5. Design Temp (°C) = -24 °C
6. Operating Temp (°C) = -6.4 °C
7. Liquid Spec. Gravity = 0.6011
8. Net working capacity = 5434 m3
9. Perlite block size (L x W x H) = 800mm x 500mm x 200mm
10. No. of blocks reqd. (full replacement) = 140 blocks
11. Perlite block density = 1,000 kg / m3

Would really appreciate if someone can guide me in this regard that how these blocks can be designed i.e. reference standards / codes etc and much much better if you can recommend some expert designer of this area or design software.
Upon completion of design, we need to "Source" the blocks as well but that's less complicated than getting the design and right specs for blocks.

Any help is much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Gumpmaster,
Thanks for the response. No I don't have much information about ACI 213 ? Can you please share more info on this and how it relates to "perlite concrete" specifically.
Much appreciated.

Meesamali512:
You said.... “we need to "Source" the blocks as well but that's less complicated than getting the design and right specs for blocks.” Since sourcing the blocks isn’t a big problem, why don’t you talk to a couple of your sources and get their (typical) mechanical properties, material and product specs? That might lead you to some interesting/important design info. and methodology. There are also likely newer, better, bearing/insulation products which might meet your needs just as well or better. Investigate these. Some engineering design problems do not have whole code sections of their own, or design guides and vast code certification testing, they require some engineering judgement, common sense, and the use of the basic engineering principles and knowledge, which we should have acquired to be good engineers. A well proportioned sketch of the existing details might help us understand what you’re dealing with.

Dear dhengr,
Thanks for your response. Actually we have contacted the supplier but the problem is mostly they are NOT willing to share the design and mixing ratio details as they treat is sort of their own trade secret. They can supply blocks as per requirement but then to replace blocks again we have to rely on them. We need to come-up with a specs / design calculation that we can get blocks when and wherever needed. I have attached herewith detailed sketch of blocks showing dimensions and relevant information.

I hope it helps to understand the issue more clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back