Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design and Simulation of a four stroke Otto engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeeSharp

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2018
DE
Hello,

I am looking for resources that show you how to design an simulate and engine from scratch.

I want to design a complete engine using CAD. Afterwards I would like to analyze the engine using FEA and CFD simulations.
This is all for learning purposes. I will be using NX12 and probably ANSYS for CFD, although the package shouldn't matter to much.
Is there basically a tutorial on this whole process?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What specifically are you trying to learn and how much are you willing to spend? Do you want to build a running engine or, even more challenging, an efficient engine? I ask because I have spent the last five years learning the new engine design process without using expensive tools (such as Converge: It would have gone much faster had I just purchased a Converge license for a couple of grand but, even that tool will only absolve you of the need to learn all the thermodynamics, heat transfer, chemical kinetics, and other topics required to build an efficient engine. A good overview of what's required can be had by reviewing the AME 436 course materials at

I just want to model an engine from scratch using CAD and then run simulations like FEA and CFD.

The purpose of this is to learn about engines and its fields. And to become sufficient at CAE.

There are a number of tutorials at GrabCad ( and Solidworks has done one as well (
FEA will require you have estimates of combustion pressures and you'll need to do some basic calculations to derive them. You could get the necessary pressure curves by making a very simple model of your engine using Professor Ronney's AirCycles4Recips.xls spreadsheet available at
CFD is a very broad field. It's pretty straightforward to analyze intake flow. Exhaust flow requires understanding of pressures and temperatures produced by combustion which you could pull from Professor Ronney's spreadsheet. CFD analysis of cooling requires an understanding of cylinder wall temperatures which the professor's spreadsheet skips over using a constant, but it's informed by his experience, so you could likely calculate a reasonable estimate of heat flux on the cylinder walls from his spreadsheet.

Just getting all the parts designed and assembled into a dynamic (animated) assembly will be a pretty good accomplishment to start with. I recommend you start with a single cylinder then work up as you gain experience.

Nice find!

Well I'll start with the CAD process and finish that off first.

Will most likely return to ask about the simulation part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back