Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Calculations or Reference - Submerged Contact Media Aerobic Treatment Plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

LachlanDriver

Civil/Environmental
Jul 24, 2014
AU
Hi There.

I have recently joined a business that manufacture a range of treatment plants from 10 to 500 EP.

Often the technology employed for this task is Submerged Contact Media Aerobic Treatment Plants. To me, this technology is somewhere between an activated sludge plant and trickling filter.

I know that this type of plant is common for small treatment plants but I am surprised at how little I can find in text books or journal articles about the treatment theory and best practice. If anyone could recommend any literature with reliable design calculations that would be appreciated. Right now I am specifically trying to calculate how much RAS to return to aeration tank.

Thanks

Lachlan
Brisbane, Australia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems that MBR technology is highly reliant on lab test data ; there could be significant variability based on bacteria type, influent qualities, operating temperature , and anti-fouling measures used.

A review of the small MBR's offered for sale on Alibaba (mostly from china) can illustrate the optimum configuration including recycle pump size, but it seems that all parts are interconnected and optimized as an ensemble.

"Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad "

Typically the RAS is oversized and adjusted to suit in the field. There is very little cost associated with oversizing these smaller units. One would think that sizing the RAS using the activated sludge methodology would suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back