Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

design calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bargin

Civil/Environmental
May 9, 2003
CA
I am currently designing a water treatment plant which consists of several independant processes. Prefiltration using an 80 micron automatic backwash prefilter; pH adjustment system; ozonation system and associated injection system; carbon filtration and chlorination. I had a tendancy to rely on suppliers info in the past and trust them. However, I have checked out several components and design criteria within the system and it dont add up. So I have started performing my own calculations. For example, for pH adjustment we will be using hydrated lime, based on my water flow design how do I determine the amount of chemical needed?

Ozonation calculations required as well. I have many known parameters for all processes, but I would other sample calculations as a comparison

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure whether any water treatment processes may be said to be truly independent. To calculate the dose rate, you will need information on the incoming water flow, pH, methyl orange alkalinity,temperature and so on. These can be used to determine required dose rates. The pH you are aiming for is probably based on the optimum for chlorination, but due regard should be given to other factors such as THM and chloramine formation, managanese precipitation and the like.

Seán

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back