Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Checking

Status
Not open for further replies.

picksbendy

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2010
Hi Guys,
I'm a total newbie to machine design and i've been reading and researching about bearings fitting and mounting methods and which i came up with this design i have as a cam follower block.
I'm confused if this is the right way for the bearing assembly as well as, will the bearing 6205 be strong enough to hold the shaft in vertical position if bearing 6816 act as cam follower (pressure may be 30 psi minimum)
hope that my explanation is understandable.
well, a senior here pointed that i must use 2 bearings (6205 2pieces) but I'm thinking 1 should be sufficient.
I attach my drawings together and hope to get some guidance and advice ya.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need more than one bearing to support the stub shaft. As drawn, when a radial load acts on the cam (6816), the 6205 will be subjected to severe misalignment. At best this results in reduced lifetime. At worst it results in broken cage, grease purge, noise, notchiness.
Why not simplify things by using a cam foller bearing such as:
You just need to bolt it to the frame.

Not enough information. As drawn I agree with caomhin1. With out more specifics on what type of cam and what it does all I can say is that from a mechanics standpoint, it is job security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back