Design Code For Atmospheric Tank Like Pressure Vessel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmallInfo

Petroleum
Oct 30, 2017
PK
Hello Experts,
I need to design a vessel at atmospheric pressure as same shape as we design pressure vessel, which code to be followed?
I went through API 650 but its for flat bottom.
I need it in shape you can see in image
Thanks in advance
Capture_tkql39.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API 620 allows pretty much any shape, in the same way ASME Sect VIII Div 1 allows any shape. Their allowable tensile stresses are very similar.

I'd probably pick one of them based on which I was most familiar with.

Is there an owner specification?
If there are no requirements, then only a detailed drawing (without calculations), zero NDE.
Just a dimensional check and then 100% water fill to check for leaks (before painting).

Regards

There are no end of containers that don't fit under regular codes. It can be built as a non-code tank.
API-620 can be applied to it, but doesn't offer any design guidance, either, so not a lot of point in doing that.
UL 142 or ASME could be used, but either involves more paperwork and money to fully comply with the requirements.

In case a pump suction is connected to the vessel and there is not sufficient opening to eliminate the suction you may have partial or full vacuum in the vessel. Have you looked at it this way? In case there is vacuum you may need to use ASME VIII Section 1 or similar codes.

Other than above, you may design your vessel without code compliance and manufacture in accordance with code rules.

A lot of these are just vendor specification. They've built hundreds and they haven't failed.

But watch the vacuum / lower than atmospheric pressure alright.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It could be designed to a given Code without one following the fab, inspection, documentation, etc. rules at least not rigoursly.

Regards

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Given that this has no pressure in it, I would just design it as a bit of pipe to B 31.3 using standard components like end caps, tees and weldolets and make it from Std wall thickness pipe.
Then analyse it for the support loads when full of your liquid.

Give it a design pressure just to make the numbers make some sense (14.5 psi).

This is a 24" pipe 1.8m long. Don't overcomplicate this.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

There are many storage tanks in the world made without any code, for different products.
A pressure vessel manufacturer cannot be competitive in this context.
No code is: NO WPS, NO material identification, NO calculations, ........NO....... and NO....
For this example I suggest: 3mm shell plate, 3mm flat heads, ......etc.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back