Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

design connections between RHS to existing UB column

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelconnector

Structural
Feb 16, 2009
Hi guyz,
i am trying to design a roof rack for a friend's small factory, a RHS column bolted onto the side of the UB column ( please refer to the attachement). how do i design the connections between RHS & UB column?

thanks for helping out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Are you a structural engineer?
2. How were those loads calculated? AS4100 section 9 includes minimum design capacity of connections.
3. The connection as shown will provide a "pinned" connection but would have to be modified to carry moment. (Although loads are so small you would probably get away with it.)
4. Basics of connection design are covered in ASI "design of Structural connections"

thank you, where do i find this book that u mentioned? can i grab it off from the internet? sorry, i am not a structural engineer, those loads were calculated using spacegass.

You can't expect Spacegass to give the right answer unless the analysis is done correctly and you need an engineer who understands all the relevant load patterns and combinations to do that. Similarly with designing the members and connections.

Experience will let you guesstimate an answer but will not guarantee a successful one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back