Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Documentation System 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

munz

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2002
AU
I have been given the task of developing a Design Documenation System for my organisation.

Does anyone have a tried and tested structure for such a system or know of a text that could be useful?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!
As I understand, you have a QA system already. (or, it is needed...)
So, you should have a PDM system, too. (or,...)
Document is one of the main elements a Designer uses in his everyday activity. Actually each and every "paper" created in the PDM system can be certified as "Document". These Documents can exist as both "stand-alone" objects and/ or be part of another abject's BOM such as for a Part, etc.
..while working with CAD/CAM applications and PDM you can create a Document - using a specific function - as well via different interfaces as Outlook or/and Office documents.
...from here, you decide for Document Numeration mechanism. Your choices are either a structured or a un-structured number, and so on.....you have to define the Document Life Cycle.

Good-luck!
Daniel

Hi munz,

"House she going?"
did you refer to something else?

Daniel

Munz,

Not sure if you are still in need of this information, but I did find this article interesting and may be applicable to what you are trying to implement:

A better way to track design decisions
Knowledge-accounting software captures the reasons decisions are made so others can learn from previous experience.
from the 7 Nov 2002 issue of Machine Design.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back