Design Guide 9 Calculations 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex2000junio

Student
Dec 18, 2023
BR
Hello guys,

I have some quick questions about the examples of Design Guide 9 that are not 100% clear to me.
- Why does V_u, in example 5.1, is divided by 2? Example 5.4 does not divide.
- In Example 5.1, both τ_bw and τ_bf uses Vu. Shouldn't it be V_y for the web one and "V_x divided by 2" for the flange one (divided because there are two flanges)? It makes sense to me since the shear applied in x is different from the one applied in y. Also, why does it uses I_x for both cases?
In my case, I have separate values for shear, I mean, I have V1, V2 and V3 (Vx, Vy and Vz). So, am I correct at the second sentence?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

alex2000junio (Student)(OP) said:
Why does V_u, in example 5.1, is divided by 2? Example 5.4 does not divide.
Pu is rather divided by 2 to determine the shear force of a simply supported beam. P/2=V.

In example 5.4, there are 2 point loads 310k and 420kips. V(max at right support) = [310(7.5)+420(25-7.5)]/25=387kips
DG1_uvo36d.png

You can refer to table 3-23 AISC for shear equations
Both examples uses shear

In Example 5.1, both τ_bw and τ_bf uses Vu
Shear flow, thus Vu. But the equation is for flexural shear stress for the flange and web. You can Google to read on that.

Also, why does it uses I_x for both cases?
Vu is along Y-axis hence the moment of inertia is that about the perpendicular axis for the flexural shear stress flow.

You have the shear in only one direction, along Y-axis (V2). The point load isn't inclined. You will then proceed to use the Vu(shear along Y to find your shear flow to determine the stress across your section; at the web or flange).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back