Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design of an RC structure G+1 by hand calculaations 1

Bogusbogedi

Structural
May 31, 2024
MU
Dear fellow structural engineers,
I am a graduate engineer tasked with my first job ever of designing a G+1 by hand calculations only.

I have my basic understanding of analysing frames and members, however I need advise on the following;

i)Calculation of the centre of mass of the structure and the centre of rigidity
ii)wind load calculation on the structure.

I will be updating this thread constantly for those willing to guide me and upload calculations for those who might require it.

We are designing using BS8110 and CP3 for wind loading.
I will attach the DWG file soon.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where is BS8110 current code? I've used it for reference, but hasn't it been replaced by the Eurocode based BS standards for a decade or two?

@TLHS even though BS8110 has long been superseded, we here in Mauritius continue using it.
@JAE , No
The reason for me doing so is to ensure that I have my basics right before moving onto more complicated structures. And what better way to learn than to get advice from fellow structural engineers.

i) Calculation of the center of mass and center of rigidity will be an iterative process. You'll take the floorplan and make an intelligent guess, work through your design, then revisit those guesses to see if they are satisfactorily accurate or require adjustment (and repeated design). How many iterations will depend on how complex (and hard to guess) the floor plan is.

Fair enough!

The plus side of BS8110 being an older code is that there's less demand for books and things, and they look like they're cheap or long ago scanned. You should get yourself a book or two that walks through full building and/or scheme design. I'm not a BS code person, so I'm not the best resource for recommendations, but it looks like IStructE has some at least. The Manual for the Design of Reinforced Concrete Building Structures looks reasonable, for instance. There's also Concrete Buildings Scheme Design Manual. I'm sure there are a bunch of similar books, the pre-Eurocode BS codes have always been pretty well discussed and documented.

This is the floor plan to be repeated on 1 more level
plan_pyeabp.png

What is interesting is the structure is not a total frame structure, as it is load bearing on GL 1 to GL5.
What do you all think of this?
This column layout was proposed by my Superior.

Back