Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design of cooling coils in reservoir, close loop cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABerlinMML

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2014
CA
Hello all,

Kindly point me in the right direction:

I'm hoping to design a low cost closed loop cooling circuit for our servo motors. I Would like to have tower/chiller water running through helical coiled tubing in my coolant reservoir tank to act as a heat exchanger. Since I dont know the all the inlet/outlet temperatures of coolant and water, how can I proceed to find LMTD in the heat exhanger equation to determine required heat exhange area? I estimated the peak heat load at 5700W.

Thanks in anticipation,
ABerlin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

But, you should know your coolant flow rate; that fixes the Joule mass flow, which would determine your inlet temp. You need to then get your outlet temp down by the amount of heat originally added, so your outlet temp is determined. Now, all you need is your water flow rate, etc.

You know what your cooling tower does, so the problem is parametric with respect to water flow rate and cooling coil length.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thanks IRstuff, that got me the T difference of the coolant and chilled water, I must be very rusty in thermo to have missed that.

What do you think about having a simple on/off solenoid valve on the water side for temperature control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back