Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design of Foundations for Dynamic Loads 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

designsimply

Structural
Nov 14, 2007
US
I am looking for a simply piece of calculation information about designing a foundation under dynamic loading online. I know there is a/n (expensive) seminar "Design of Foundations for Dynamic Loads" at ASCE but I don't have time to take it right way. I searched this forum and know there was a thread "Dynamic Loaded Machine Foundation" but it was dated about three years ago. Some useful information there for download is not available anymore. Can anyone give any information on this (Design of Foundations for Dynamic Loads)? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try this simple spreadsheet.
You need only to add inputs on centroids, oobf (out of balance forces) and soil props as a minimum.
Datasheet refer to vendor data and is read into the oobf.
All other worksheets follow from this.
All data required for twisting is reporduced so that you do not have to cross-refrrence back to check numbers. This was before I discovered concatenations.

I have examples on piles too.

Robert Mote
www.motagg.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1b4886e8-d8db-4a1c-a58f-60ca8a09c357&file=Copy_of_P10331B.xls
Designsimply

Dr. Arya et al. have published long-hang design examples in his book as well as same examples published in "Hydrocarban Processing" Journal(I think around mid 1970s.) If you are looking for more long hand examples, Please look at
A. Major (Alexander Major) Book, Collects publication. There are few examples published in "Indian Concere Journal" late 1950' and early 1960s. Based on these examples you can create your own spread sheed programs.

rtmote - your spreadsheet is password protected....

I did a spreadsheet years ago (in QuatroPro) using the formulations in Arya's book. Try to find a copy of the book in the library. Also - you could check out Richard Hall and Woods book on vibrations - he has most of the formulas in it. Nowak of Western Ontario also has done a lot of work in machine foundations.

BigH
you're correct it is password protected, unintentionally. I atarted with Reichart and Woods.

I had thought I had removed the password protection. It's no secret, I don't beleive in them anymore. Type Brunel

M. Novak's work I know well through Dyna 4 and 5 and compressors on piles. Excellent work. My ambition, if I ever find time is to recreate the formaulae by spreadaheet.

Sorry for any confusion, not intended.

Robert Mote

I also happened across the Dec. 2004 thread on Design of Foundations for Dynamic Loading with broken links to the articles:

"Don't Gamble on Machinery Foundations"

"Principles of Foundation Design for Engines & Compressors"

"Basic Vibration & Vibration Isolation Theory"

Someone has graciously provided the first, does anyone have the others? Perhaps SlideRuleEra can repost these? Many Thanks in advance

rtmote:
Thanks for an excellent spreadsheet. If you do not mind sharing your examples on piles I would really appreciate it.
Regards,
IV

Find an example on piles as attached, for educational purposes only. The macros still function.

This example is based on Arya and Pincus. I was worried about the reliability of the calculations; empiricism versus real behaviour. I didn't have access to Dyna4 at that time so I did a sensitivity measurement on the parameters to determine the critical items. At least you can see the equations and numbers, what drives the theory.

In this instance we were not required to go back into the field and get better information or worry about pile spacing etc.

regards

Robert Mote
www.motagg.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7abab68a-09f1-45f1-81db-ff89462453c7&file=pump_on_piles_example.xls
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back